How to generate leads while you sleep
Often, when I carry out a social media review and ask the client “how are you building your email marketing list using online marketing”, I am asked the question “what is an email marketing list?” I was the same a year ago when I was approached by a high profile coach. When I say high profile, I mean they are well known and have high visibility online.
If am honest I had a blank look on my face and thought to myself, “What on earth are they going on about”. This was for a number of reasons: firstly, I had not identified my market, my ideal client. I also thought to myself “why would I want to market other people’s businesses to my current email marketing list?” I did not get it and was very resistant to the idea at the time.
How wrong was I? My lack of marketing know how cost me dearly in the first years of growing my business; as my leads dried up I stunted the growth of my business as I had nobody new to market to who I had been developing a relationship with. We have to remember that only around 2% of people are ready to buy our services that we come into contact with. We have to find a way to add value to attract more of our ideal clients. So, a year down the road when they are ready to buy, we are going to be more likely to convert them into a paying client.
Pro-actively growing your email marketing list has to be part of your online marketing plan. Now, I don’t mean just setting up a newsletter on your website and hoping people are going to sign up.
The great thing about online marketing is you can grow your email marketing list very quickly with 1000s of your ideal clients. Much faster than giving talks, face to face networking or running live events. It’s a low cost highly targeted and effective marketing strategy.
Over the last 8 weeks I have gained 235 warm leads using online marketing and you can too.
6 Proven ways to grow your email list for small businesses
- add building your email marketing list into your online marketing plan;
- plan a new email marketing campaign once every three months so you have 4 clear email marketing list growing activities a year
- put a note in your diary one month in advance to give you time to think about the incentive (information product) for people to sign up for to give you time to plan
- combine growing your email marketing list with the launch of a new product or course
- keep in regular contact with your new connections. Don’t forget that the people who have joined your email marketing list are human and the relationship needs to be romanced in follow up emails.
- set up your email marketing campaign on auto pilot so you don’t have to worry about it, it can run while you sleep and generate new business for you